This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Probe with a half ball lens

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Hi,
First of all thank you for the great software.
I need to simulate my probe which has a half ball lens and I am wondering how I can define the convergence of the beam of the light due to the probe.
I would really appreciate your help with this.
Thanks
Jun 24, 2016 at 9:10 PM
Hi Maryami,

Off the top of my head, three things come to mind, in increasing order of complexity:

1) Treat the lens as approximately equivalent to something we already provide, such as a DirectionalCircularSource, using a converging theta and approximate spot size on the tissue:

https://virtualphotonics.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#src/Vts/MonteCarlo/Sources/SurfaceEmittingFlatSources/Circular/DirectionalCircularSource.cs

This is supported out of the box. We also may have an even simpler "point" source that can have a converging theta as well, not sure about that one, but easy enough to define a small radius for the circular source, above.

2) If you can approximate the profile of the source as it hits the tissue surface, it's likely it can be sampled/discretized into a format that can work with DirectionalArbitrarySurfaceSource:

https://virtualphotonics.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#src/Vts/MonteCarlo/Sources/SurfaceEmittingFlatSources/ArbitrarySurfaceSource/DirectionalArbitrarySurfaceSource.cs

Not sure if we've developed import/export for this type of source definition - maybe Carole or Janaka can comment on that. Otherwise, might require dropping into code.

3) If it's easy to analytically model (or approximate), you can implement your own custom source and source input, by deriving from one of our source base classes. Definitely a developer kind of activity.

Perhaps others have

David
Jun 27, 2016 at 12:59 PM
Hi David,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I really appreciate it.
We are working on it now and will contact you for further questions.

Thanks again,
Maryam