This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Visualize frequency domain data

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hi, it is very awesome that the VP does the forward/inverse for the (temporal) frequency domain.  But the display is tricky because it shows an interlaced real/imaginary plot that is really hard to read.  Is there any chance this visualization can be improved? 

Note: exporting the data is fine but it would be wonderful to do the fits etc online and see the results.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hi acerussi! :)

Thanks for the feedback. Working on it right now - the tradeoff (without a mountain of work) will be that real and imaginary plots will be separate colors. Is that ok with you?

David

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM

That would be fantastic - can we make the real blue (I like blue and I try to be real).  This would be a big help for visualization.  We could really use this for training our students in data fitting etc.

In addition - if not too much trouble - having the option to plot the real/imaginary as phase/amplitude would be a bonus ...

Albert

Coordinator
May 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Hi Albert,

Just an FYI that the separate real/imag plot feature is now in the VTS codebase, and the next deployment to the website will have the changes.

I'll consider the best way to implement toggling real/imag vs. amp/phase and get back to you.

Thanks again for the feedback,

David

May 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Thanks david ... looking forward to it!

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Is there any update with plotting phase and amplitude? having the real/imag is great and of course can be transformed into phase amp. but for educational purposes and sanity checks having the phase/amp is much more helpful.

thanks!
Developer
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I have implemented this in the Forward Solver Panel and Inverse Solver Panel (not yet on codeplex or VP website). So instead of real and imag plots, phase [degrees] and ampitude are plotted. Note that in the Inverse Solver Panel, the inverse solution is still with respect to real/imag. Any comments/suggestions/corrections to any of this?
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Need to be able to toggle between the two (for visualization purposes). For fitting purposes, it's best to stick to Re/Imag for all cases (unless we add a separate toggle for fitting representation - in that case, we'll need to support separate weighting of amp/phase, since they're on such different absolute scales.
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I agree that the fitting is best left to the real/imag - that is generally what we do as well.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

albert

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 1:35 PM
To: Cerussi, Albert
Subject: Re: Visualize frequency domain data [virtualphotonics:352140]

Need to be able to toggle between the two (for visualization purposes). For fitting purposes, it's best to stick to Re/Imag for all cases (unless we add a separate toggle for fitting representation - in that case, we'll need to support separate weighting of amp/phase, since they're on such different absolute scales)

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM, hayakawa <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have implemented this in the Forward Solver Panel and Inverse Solver Panel (not yet on codeplex or VP website). So instead of real and imag plots, phase [degrees] and ampitude are plotted. Note that in the Inverse Solver Panel, the inverse solution is still with respect to real/imag. Any comments/suggestions/corrections to any of this?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (virtualphotonics@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email virtualphotonics@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
Developer
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll look at adding in a toggle for the plots. For now, I think I'll hold on implementing the toggle on the inverse solution since using real/imag seems to be the common method.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Sounds great, Carole. Thanks!
Developer
Mar 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Albert, please check out the new GUI on our website: http://www.virtualphotonics.org/vts/
Let me know if you have any problems.
Carole
Mar 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Thanks Carole - but i didnt see anything new here (or did i just miss it). Version 1.0.7 Beta?

Albert Cerussi, PhD
Director, Diffuse Optical Spectroscopic Imaging (DOSI) Lab
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic
University of California, Irvine

Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Albert, please check out the new GUI on our website: http://www.virtualphotonics.org/vts/
Let me know if you have any problems.
Carole

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
Developer
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM
It is version 1.0.11 Beta. I had the same problem. If you can clear your browser cache, it will show up.
Carole
Mar 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Ok i see it now, thanks! The only note I can think of is that it is not easy to see the phase and amp simultaneously (which was the point of RE/IM in the first place).

if you normalize you can easily see the modulation changes but the phase looks the same for all scattering values. If i remove the normalization, then the amplitudes all drop to levels unreadable but you can see the phases.

This is still very helpful but it might confuse people. Maybe a second plot altogether?

Albert Cerussi, PhD
Director, Diffuse Optical Spectroscopic Imaging (DOSI) Lab
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic
University of California, Irvine

Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 3:38 PM

It is version 1.0.11 Beta. I had the same problem. If you can clear your browser cache, it will show up.
Carole

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I agree - perhaps best to have a three-way radio button: Complex, Phase, Amp

(In the future, the plan is to switch to the OxyPlot plotting tool, which should allow us much more flexibility and "sciencey" multi-axis plots)
Developer
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Hi Albert,
I modified the GUI to have a 3-way radio button. This is not an official release yet so I put it in a place where you can check it out:
http://www.virtualphotonics.org/vts/sandbox
Carole
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Thanks - we tried it out and it is very helpful.